Dr. Steven van Hauwaert
Associate Professor in Politics
Steven holds a PhD from Sciences Po Paris, as well as additional degrees from Marquette University (USA) and the University of Antwerp (BE). Before joining Forward College in 2022, he held positions at the University of Surrey (UK), the Johannes Gutenberg Universitat Mainz (DE), the Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas (MEX), the Université Catholique de Louvain (BE), Northwestern University (USA), Sciences Po Paris (FR) and the University of Vienna (AT).
In addition to his role at Forward College, he is currently also an Excellence Fellow at Radboud University (NL), the principal investigator of the Global Public Opinion Project, a Team Leader for Team populism, a Fellow at the Young Academy of Europe and an Associate Editor for the ECPR’s open-access journal Political Research Exchange.
His research primarily focuses on comparative political behaviour and challenges to (representative) democracy, particularly in Western Europe and Latin America. More specifically,
Steven’s research agenda focuses on the (lack of) responsive dynamics between citizens and elites in (representative) democracies, as well as various challenges to this process.
- Comparative Politics (PS 2082)
- Foreign Policy Analysis (IR 2137)
– Van Hauwaert, S. M. (2022). Immigration as a Thermostat? Public Opinion and Immigration Policy Across Western Europe (1980 – 2017). Journal of European Public Policy.
– Romero-Vidal, X., & Van Hauwaert, S. M. (2022). Polarization Between the Rich and the Poor? The Dynamics and Structure of Redistributive Preferences in a Comparative Perspective. International Journal of Public Opinion Research. 34(1).
– Cinalli, M., & Van Hauwaert, S. M. (2021). Contentious politics and congruence across policy and public spheres: The case of Muslims in France. Ethnic and Racial Studies. 44(14), 2532-2550.
– van Kessel, S., Sajuria, J., & Van Hauwaert, S. M. (2021). Informed, uninformed or misinformed? A cross-national analysis of populist party supporters across European democracies. West European Politics. 44(3), 585-610.
– Van Hauwaert, S. M. (2021). Thinking outside the box: The political process model and far right party emergence. Journal of European Studies. 29(1), 84-98.
– Van Hauwaert, S. M., & Huber R. A. (2020). In-group solidarity or out-group hostility in response to terrorism in France? Evidence from a regression discontinuity design. European Journal of Political Research. 59(4), 936-953.
– Rovira Kaltwasser, C., & Van Hauwaert, S. M. (2020). The populist citizen: Empirical evidence from Europe and Latin America. European Political Science Review. 12(1), 1-18.
– Van Hauwaert, S. M., Schimpf, C. H., & Azevedo, F. (2020). The measurement of populist attitudes: Testing cross-national scales using item response theory. Politics. 40(1), 3-21.