At Forward, we believe real-life experiences such as internships are essential to developing the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in future careers.
Before graduating from Forward College, all Double Bachelor and Bachelor’s+ students will have to complete mandatory work experience that amounts to a total duration of between 210 and 280 hours, roughly 6 to 8 weeks. All students can pursue optional internships.
We encourage all Forward College students to pursue an internship, whether for career exploration purposes or to gain practical, valuable, and much sought-after experience.
To support them in finding the right internship, we offer a range of resources and tools:
- A career coach that works closely with students to help them identify potential internships and develop their applications.
- Workshops that cover everything from “how to optimize my CV” to “how to leverage my networking skills”.
- Personalised advice on their CVs and mock interviews with our career coaches to ensure they present themselves in the best possible way.
- An extensive network of industry contacts to help connect our students with internship opportunities.
What is an Internship?
An internship is a great way to gain valuable experience and build your resume. Internships allow you to:
- Gain insight on your career goals
- Test out different work environments
- Build your resume and develop industry-specific skills
- Shape and grow your professional network
- Practice the job search process
What qualifies as an internship?
An internship must:
- Be supervised by a professional within the organisation you work for
- Serve PRIMARILY as a learning experience for you
- Have clearly defined duties and activities agreed upon by you and the employer
- Assist you in progressing toward a professional or exploratory career goal
- Comply with all relevant employment laws and statues; you do not give up your rights as an employee due to your student status
- If for academic credit – Is supervised by a faculty or staff member within the University
An internship should:
- Take place in a professional setting (adequately structured remote experiences can also be internships)
- Have clear expectations and evaluation processes provided by the employer
- Assist you in delineating a career path from the internship forward
- Encourage you to develop college competencies, including: Intercultural & Global Fluency, Career Design & Management, Leadership, Critical Thinking & Problem Solving, Teamwork, Adaptability & Resiliency, Oral & Written Communication